I thought it might be appropriate to list some of my informal, nonofficial New Year's Resolutions for 2009. Maybe I'll fulfill them all, maybe none. But isn't that the point of resolutions? To make them and never finish? haha...
1. "Buns and Thighs"
This resolution is as old as time: the resolution to exercise more. I am a relatively healthy eater, I walk a bunch all around campus, especially given my schedule this semester, and I am in no way fat. However, by the end of the semester, and for my return trip to Costa Rica, I want to have lost some inches and fat and gained some serious muscle. I was looking at some photos of me in my prime basketball and volleyball days in high school and it's hard to believe that my legs were once rock solid and I could jump two feet in the air (ok maybe not two... but a lot more than right now). I did some serious buns work yesterday and am feeling the burn this morning, but that is a good sign, and I have got to keep it up no matter the aches and pains. No pain, no gain, right?
2. "Churning Butter"
Pending a negative drug test, I have a summer job!! I was hired by Land O' Lakes for a 12 week research and development internship in Arden Hills, MN. I'm not sure exactly what I will be doing, but I want to be good at. I want to work hard, let them know just how smart and talented I am, and then... maybe they'll hire me for another job, abroad perhaps?
3. "Knopp's Knotes"
This semester is the heaviest I've had in my university career with an astounding 19 credits. It actually should be 22, but I am auditing my leadership class because I didn't want to have 22 hours :) Anyways, I am taking 5 classes and have 4 labs and a practice session (which is the same as a lab). Classes include: Crops: Adaptation & Production (with lab), Analytical Techniques in Food & Bioprocessing Science (with 2 labs), Principles of Biochemistry (with problem session), General Microbiology (with lab), and World Population and Food Prospects. I am finally in classes that interest me and that I look forward to attending, which should help me. However, with the sheer volume of work that will accumulate if I decide to procrastinate, I need to work diligently and not put anything off until the last minute. Biochemistry will be especially challenging with pure memorization and brutal pop quizzes every week. I have to be strong and motivate myself this semester. It's not going to be an easy one.
4. "Pura Vida"
Of course, I plan to make a trip to Costa Rica in the beginning of May, after finals and before my job starts. I would like to stay as long as possible, see friends in Barva, and also travel to Manuel Antonio, one of the places that I did not get to when I was there last year. My resolution: keep Costa Rica as a prize to myself for getting all A's. Of course, I'll go even if I flunk everything, but I really want it to be my motivation and get me through the semester. And then it will be an even sweeter trip. And hopefully Margarita will come with me, and we can party like Spring Semester 2008 :) :) :)
5. "La Vita E Bella"
Last one. I am leading the Alternative Spring Break to Rome this year on a Hunger Policy trip. My co-team leader and I need to step up our game and get our affairs into order and make this as smooth and meaningful as possible. No holes, no one gets lost, no one gets sick, on time for everything, etc etc. It needs to be seamless. And I can't wait until we go. Minus the fact that I have three tests on the day that we leave, so that could be a little problem....
Well, there you go. You now know what 2009 is going to for me. Hopefully there will be some more international travel, but with Italy and Costa Rica already on my plate, I'm not complaining too much ;)
Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment